Our general mission is to create disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the world, and to equip the saints for the work of ministry.
We don't use lingo like "church membership": our church is a family, and our new partners in ministry who join us are considered "covenant partners".
If you are interested in joining Clemmons UMC in ministry, choosing to follow Jesus, or have questions about our church, please contact us today!
Clemmons United Methodist Church may be one of the oldest Methodist churches in the United States. Organized in 1783, the first services were held at McKnight's Meeting House on the east side of the Yadkin River in what is now Forsyth County North Carolina. Although there were Methodists in the area prior to 1783, this is the earliest when they became solidified into a definite society in a distinct meeting house.
In 1809 a church was built to house the small congregation - this building is known today as Mount Pleasant church and stands in Tanglewood Park. Before 1830, however, a group of members decided to form a Methodist society in the new town of Clemmonsville, and the Clemmonsville Methodist Church was born. Services were first held in the town tavern (former home of Peter Clemmons). Later the congregation worshipped in the Academy Building and in the late 1840's, moved to the free school building.
Clemmonsville Methodist Church suffered a gradual decline in membership beginning in 1851, and by 1873 there were only 20 members remaining. These 20 members - sharing a vision of God's love and a commitment to spread His word - made a bold and seemingly impossible decision: they would build a Methodist church in their small town. Their faith saw them through great difficulties and the new building (erected where our chapel now stands) was built and in use by the end of 1875. Within three years the membership had grown to 76.
Unfortunately, a severe rain, wind and hail storm blew the church to the ground in 1900 and then again when attempts were made to rebuild the structure. With their faith put to the test once more, the members were determined to follow His footsteps, and a new church opened its doors for worship in 1920.
As Clemmons United Methodist Church grew, so did the need for additional space. Construction for the present children's educational building began in 1962, and in 1965 Clemmons became the home of a Methodist minister for the first time in over 100 years. The first worship service was held in our current sanctuary on November 11, 1979, and in October, 1987, the chapel was completed. The present adult education space and fellowship hall was completed in 1997.
In 2013, CUMC completed a captial campaign (Many Gifts, Growing Spirit) with the intent to raise funds (debt-free) to improve our campus and our ministry effectiveness. Since then, we have:
- Completely resurfaced our parking lots
- Overhauled our HVAC systems
- Made multiple improvements to our Preschool
- And lastly, completed a $420,000 renovation of our Sanctuary
Clemmons UMC is primed to be used by God to serve the world. Join us.